What Is the Most Long-Lasting Exterior Paint?
If you’re going to invest in exterior painting, you don’t want to have to do it all over again years ahead of schedule. You need to know the longest lasting exterior paint and how to get the best performance from exterior paints and finishes. Here’s what we’ve learned over our decades working as local house painters with expertise in exterior painting.
What to Know About Long Lasting Paint
Acrylic Paint Lasts Longest
You don’t have to take our word for it. For extended paint life, numerous professional painters agree that acrylic exterior paint gives the longest-lasting finish. Sherwin Williams Company gives a great summary of the benefits of acrylic exterior paint and exterior paint life:
“Acrylic paint lasts the longest and is also known for resisting all sorts of damage caused by weather and other natural variables. Acrylic paint is also excellent for resisting fading or damage caused by exposure to the sun, making it perfect for homes located in hot regions or climates.”
There are many varieties of acrylic paint, including:
- Acrylic Latex: Great for most outside surfaces including wood, masonry, siding, metal, and exterior trims. These high performance coatings are especially resilient against temperature fluctuations.
- Acrylic Enamel: Exterior walls are where these paints do their best work, offering high durability.
- Acrylic Latex Enamel: These paints offer the strength benefits of acrylic enamel with added gloss for a more high-impact finish.
If your paint job isn’t standing up to the California heat, we recommend asking your exterior painting contractors for their preferred acrylic exterior paints like the Sherwin Williams or Behr Paint, ahead of your next painting project.
Choosing a Sheen for Exterior Painting
Once you know what type of paint is going to give you the most longevity, it’s time to choose an exterior paint sheen for your that works best for the demands of your exterior and suits your tastes.
Generally, exterior wall paint finishes are done in either a flat/matte finish or a satin/eggshell finish. Flat finishes are good for camouflaging dirt and minor surface imperfections. And eggshell/satin finishes have those benefits, plus a low gloss to minimize glare and reflectivity while still giving exterior walls a polished appearance. Exterior satin enamel features better moisture hold out will stay cleaner than an ordinary flat finish. Other exterior coating for houses include elastomeric paints. These coatings are acrylic latex paint as well and are formulated for stucco surfaces to help with cracking issues. The elasticity with these type of coatings helps to prevent cracks from reappearing after you paint.
How to Maximize Paint Durability and Longevity
With a paint that goes the distance and a sheen you feel good about, there are a few more steps you can take to ensure you’re getting the most from your exterior painting products.
- Don’t Swap Paint Types: Make sure to only use exterior paints outdoors and interior paint on interior surfaces. Outdoor paints can be toxic inside, and interior paints can’t withstand the elements as well as paint engineered for exterior surfaces. Make sure you know the difference between interior and exterior paint.
- Match Paints and Projects: Paints are made for particular surface types. Choosing an acrylic paint for your specific surface type will improve your results in the long run.
- Don’t Neglect the Prep: Removing old or damaged paint, cleaning the surface, and applying appropriate primers will enhance paint adhesion and appearance.
Don’t Take Chances: Hire Expert Painters
Painting in poor conditions, using too much paint, or unevenly applying paint to the surface can all affect your exterior paint finishes from day one. If you don’t want to risk it, TRICO PAINTING can help.
Our proven exterior painting techniques include thorough surface preparation and professional-grade products, so you get only the best results. Check out our house paint reviews online.
For your home choose a painter who works with the best tools, products, and techniques in the business. Contact TRICO PAINTING for your exterior painting estimate today.